Thursday 12 March 2009

Just DO it

Hey hey!

Last night, I did 4 minutes in total of jogging at 5mph!! 4 minutes, and straight back to brisk walk, no stopping! Had to tell you that coz I'm so chuffed. Best part was not just the being able to do it, but the fact that when I was getting puffed out, I starting taking these big deep breaths, and it DIDN'T HURT! And only made me cough a few times and right at the end. I've been doing my draining/ active breathing cycles before and after exercise recently which seems to help stop me coughing and bringing up stuff the whole of the workout. I mean, I can handle a bit of a cough every few minutes, but when it's constant it really affects my ability to catch my breath. So that's another thing that's right back on track!

Plus yesterday I had done 30 minutes on the treadmill earlier, a walk in to town and back with mum, and some walking either side of the jogging. So that's about an hour of exercise. Brilliant. I'm aiming for the same today -I had my first 20 minutes done at 9am (fancied a saturday lie in lol), then I'm doing my oxygen levels with running with the physio today, so that'll be 20 minutes (probably aim for 6 minutes total of jogging and 14 of brisk walking). Then probably not too long after, while it's still light, I'd like a walk in the park for 20 minutes. So yep, plannage, and I expect if yesterdays anything to go by, I'll be shattered come 10pm! I could barely keep my eyes open last night hence the lack of update in the evening...

My chest is so clear compared to a few weeks ago and much better than when I came in. I'm hardly bringing up anything! And I've had no temps at all since coming in, and just loads of energy really, like I actually want to get up and get started with the day. Which sounds so... 'huh so what' but I really really missed my old energy and feeling up to doing things. It wasn't like I just wasn't up to doing parties and sports, it was everything - I could only just manage to be up and showered by midday on a good day, had to lie down and catch my breath after a shower, got tight and felt like having a heart attack going up the stairs, couldn't have proper conversations, and could only walk for 10 minutes before needing to fall asleep and recover for a couple of hours. So when I think of all that I keep realising that I've come so far now and it just makes me really determined on carry on and beat this. Like, the fact I'm going to be using oxygen again to get my exercise back on track seemed like a set back, but actually when I compare how much I'll be using to get such good results, it's brilliant. At one point, 5Litres o2 would get my sats to 81% whilst walking at 1kph on the treadmill, and then I would be forced to get off by the physio. Now, 2 litres keeps my sats nicely above 90% whilst I walk at about 5kph for as long as I like. And 3 Litres allows me to run almost comfortably.

With this progress I just can't wait for say, 6 months down the line, when I doubt I'll need any oxygen to run, and may be able to run for 20 minutes or so in one go. We'll see, if it takes longer it takes longer, but now I feel so much more positive about the future for my sportiness.

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment