Sunday 22 March 2009

'appy marthers day, a good one in spite of... well, myself.

Hey,

The first thing I thought about this morning when I woke up was "I hope they deliver those flowers okay and quite early" I got a call around 10.30 from the delivery man asking for directions, and they were with Mommy soon after. Phew! And it's a freaking good job they were delivered quite early because apparently the mothers day traffic was a total nightmare. 50 miles as the crow flies form our house to hospy, and it took the rents 3 hours to get here! So understandably they were frazzled when they arrived, and our lunchen in the parken was not to be untill 3pm! Lol, at least we were all ready for it!
I had my 'early' session at about 9am, and OMG did I feel the running from last night in my legs. So. much. pain. And chesty poos was pluggy and horrible for some reason. Still, I decided that since I would not be able to run on them in this way, I'd go for a walky PB instead! Covered my 2km in 20 minutes! At incline of 3-4% as well, so really not a bad little workout after all. I pretty much just whiled away the rest of the morning and chilled till Ma and Pa arrived, couldn't muster the strength to do much else really! And since it was not that warm and we were so hungry when we got to the park, we only walked for about 10 minutes in total. So at least this gave my legs a good chance at recovery before attempting to run again this evening.
7.30pm and off I toddle in to the day room, thinking of roughly 10 minutes jogging within a 30 min workout. And I managed 8 in total. Not overly rubbish but not as good as I'd hoped. My legs were just so painful and I was coughing sooo much all evening that I ended up with stomach cramps and stitch in every single interval I did. Plus the coughing was affecting my breathing rhythm which is never good.
I did manage to cover 3.4km in about 30 minutes though, all on 2-3% incline. Which isn't bad going in context, it's just frustrating when you're as impatient as moi, and you want to make more progress with every work out.
I guess I need to reassure myself that things get easier bit by bit, and THEN you increase the time/intensity. And it won't happen with every single workout either. It wouldn't when I was fast, and it won't now.
I think maybe before I keep getting ahead of myself and expecting my lungs/legs to be able to cope with longer and faster intervals all the time, I should just be positive that the intervals I have been doing are feeling that bit easier, and that running for 8 minutes a day would never have happened a month ago. It's really not that long since I could barely even have a 5 minutes shower without crashing out on my bed for half an hour afterwards.
Maybe the reason I've been getting dissapointed with it so easily is just because with the amount of 02 I'm having to do it, I expect my body to work normally with it... whereas it's just a bit more complicated than that! Just gonna be baby steps... but they're forward steps.

So in light of appreciating the fitness I HAVE got, I think I'll be fairly conservative for now, and aim for not more than 8-10 minutes of jogging everyday. Then hopefully in a week or two, this will feel much easier and I'll be comfortable to up it by another couple of minutes.
Added to this is the confusion about when I'll go home! They just don't let on much. In my mind, I'm good to go but I need the portable oxygen sorting if I'm going to be able to carry on exercising effectively. I don't want to hang around here for much longer just for the simple fact that I'm hypoxic on walking. They've said themselves it's not going to get better overnight, yet they seem to want to keep me here to see how much better things can get through having IV steroids.
I'm so annoyed that they don't see it my way! They said the x-ray had improved when I was admitted, so obviously the oral prednisolone was (if very slowly) doing it's job... and yet they're apparently so impressed with the hydrocortisone that I'm carrying on with it. But they've not said how long for, why and what they're actually wanting to see with me before they'll consider me ready to get home. I need to know what I'm aiming for otherwise how can I possibly plan ahead and plan for fitness type things when I'm out?! Hopefully they'll shed more light on it when I ask tomorrow. See what lung functions ect do... blah, blah, blah.

I'll let yas know! Take it easy guys xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment