Friday 20 March 2009

Astronauticus face maskus for thou with the rubbish alveolus

Another rollercoaster of a day here at hotel chest. I'm not totally sure what to make of it all, as usual!
First thing was good, I got up and did 20 minutes treadmilling, quite easy, to limber up for my seshho with physio later. Legs and chest felt good doing that. Just as I'd finished my drainage and nebs and about to go back on the treadmill at 11, the Dr told me to go down to RFU to do my gas transfer thingy.
And that's pretty much where my mood was set in to a bad one... the last, and only other time I'd done a gas transfer was in December when I wasn't quite at my worst, but still pretty bad. It showed the my lung 'effectiveness' if you like (the amount of oxygen you actually diffuse in to your blood from what you breathe in) to be 41%. (Quite shit)
So here's me all... well my sats at rest are dead good now and my x-rays better ect ect so it MUST have increased. And it was 37%. (More shit).
So my effective lung function, despite having regained great volume and flow, is hovering at 40%.
I guess I knew it would still be kind of low since I'm so hypoxic when I exercise... but I just really hoped I could have a better number to look at to prove that things are really improving. So I felt a bit sad, to be quite honest.
After that I came back up and started the session with Physio, who now wanted to see just how much O2 I need to maintain sats above 90 when I jog.
Answer: 10 litres. Holy moose.
And for obvious reasons, you can't have more than 5l through nasal specs, so I'll be using a mask for my running now. Just not quite as neat and discreet, I have to say. But at least my sats were good! I did 10 minutes in total, in 2 x 4 minutes, and 1 x 2 minute intervals. Even though it was knackering, it was more because of my legs being tired and not used to the running then from lactic acid build up, which I was getting straight away before.

I was still grouchy and dispondant after the result of lung function, and then to really help things along, dr came back and told me to go for a ct scan to make sure that the pneumonia wasn't flaring up (they weren't impressed with my gas transfer). Of course I knew that it wasn't, coz I know how I felt when it was there badly.
Nonetheless, it was quite good to do a CT since I could have a sneakery peakery at the images and could instantly see that it was better. Much less grey all over the place.

Later on my consultant popped in which was a surprise, to tell me the good news - she'd been over the CT with the other consultant and they were both really chuffed at the difference!! Apparently there's a load of scarring which we knew, and still some shadowing which explains my unimproved gas transfer. BUT, there is far less of the shadowing and no more consolidation which means that the pneumonia is 'there' but not active. So yeah, a good cheer up that I definately needed.

I also had my walk outide, lovely as per, and glad it was nice and sunny still when I finally got the chance to get out! So there was my 3 sessions totalling an hour all done by 5pm, so I've had the evening to relax and recover. Good stuff.

Plans for the weekenders... hrm. I'll aim to get the morning walk and mid morning run sessions done at the same times as today, then probably will go for a little wander in London to go round the shops for a bit. Just to break it up a bit because weekends are sooo quite here in Bethnal Green!
Maybeeee topshop. Hahaha. But probably only to try on stuff, complain that topshop gear 'never fits right, and is made for people with really long bodies and really teeny ribcages' conclude that H and M kids is the only place I ever find anything decent to wear, then lurk in the sweet section of Topshop and buy something I know I'll actually get some use out of.
Sounds a laff! Righto poppets, take it sneezy!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment