Thursday 26 March 2009

I'll pretend like I'm training at altitude...

Glad tonights the last night in because I'm officially knackered in here! Today we managed to get my earlobe blood gases after a running interval and workout on 10litres o2, and also monitored my sats nearly every minute throughout the half hour sesh to get a final profile of what's happening with my hypoxia ect with exertion.
Basically, we got a blood gas taken one or two minutes after I stopped a running interval and was just standing there breathing the 10 litres o2, and my sats had gone up from 81 in the final minute of the 4 minute interval, to 92, CO2 levels and O2 levels more or less fine, and PH quite low, presumeably from residual lactic acid during the hyposix state.
I also went and had a baseline, resting ear lobe gas (my poor ear!) done on room air which, as expected, was all tickedy.
I'm sort of dissapointed that this level of o2 is what I have to stay at for now and I'm still very hypoxic by the end of an interval, but I'm not particulary surprised either as it's just another day. The fact that I'm going home doesn't, unfortunately mean that my lungs have started doing their job properly... SO, 10 litres for running and 4 litres for walking it is.

The good news is though, that although I've already commited myself to the fast I'll need to do the treadmill indoors for the forseeable future, I will now be getting portable O2 cyclinders so that I can do a fair portion of my brisk walking outdoors, using the 4 litres via conserver. So I will be getting out in the fresh air for some of my exercise after all!

Today was my last day of hydrocortisone, and tomorrow I'll have my first tricinolone injection which lasts one month. Brilliant - no pred tablets to take. That's 6 less pills a day lol...

So my workouts today have been the morning 22 minutes covering 2.2km, 10 minutes at incline of 4%, then at 2pm my 3.6km session including a total of 10 minutes jogging. And the rest walked at 6 or a bit higher. So that lot took me 31 minutes. Not bad at all, a pb by the day... shame I'm not getting oxygen saturation PBs also!!

I'll also be waving goodbye to mr venflonny, IV tazocin and IV tobramycin, after 2 weeks five days. Ahhhhh... the blissful return of non-stinging veins and a nice hot bath when I get home.
I'm going to sort out some driving lessons for next week, a mobility car, and also that treadmill. I can't wait to be one of the smart office types who owns a treadmill. How important and time saving of me.

Next time I update I'll not be doing it from hotel chest... I'll be HOME in my nice big bed, with no one walking in and out every five minutes, no IVs, no menus to fill out, no rustly drug stash next to my room all night, no cleaners emptying the bins four times a day, no constant questions of have I taken this med or that neb, no 4 times a day blood pressure, sats, temperature readings, blood sugars, no three weekly weigh ins, and NO BLOOD TESTS. Oh gawsh I'll miss it ;-)

I'll be here all day tomorrow, so I'll get the same workouts in before I go, and then as for when I'll next be able to do a running sesh, it depends when I can get to the gym. Hopefully, Dad will play squash on saturday so I can tag along then with the tank. And then double hopefully, we'll get treadmill sorted within the week.

Byeeeeeee xxx

1 comment:

  1. Hi, you don't know me but I've been reading your blog for a while now as it's of interest to me as what you're trying to achieve is something I want to do as well.

    If you're on msn you can add me knifewieldingmonk3y @ hotmail.com

    Would be nice to talk to someone on the same boat :)

    ReplyDelete