Thursday 12 March 2009

I'm not going to lie. It was a less than perfect day.

Sorry for bad news here... I hate always being in the shizzle. Here goes.
Firstly, lung functions were up 4% which was the good part, however sats have been smarmily sticking to 90-92 first thing in the morning and 80-88 with exercise.
Secondly, Adam and I have to give things a rest for now while we are both struggling a bit with chest infections and frequent relapses/IVs. We were individually given the talk by our consultant who pointed out some things that had been in the back of my mind but I didn't want to admit to, and in the end, we've been responsible enough to just be grateful that we have eachother even though it's not practical to be an item for now. Doesn't rule it out for when we're healthier though so I'll at least try to be positive. And will still be there for Adz no matter what. I hate him being sad though, makes me so sad too. I wish there was a way to make the problems go away but I suppose life is like that and sometimes you just have to accept things and get on with it. So for now we'll both be working on getting superfit and healthy and making our lungs the best they can be.

And the ganache on the gateux was that I've been told to stay in for the full two weeks I'm on IVs, so that a) we can carry on with IV steroids to be sure that they are definately getting to where they need to; and b) so that Dr can make sure that I'm as good as possible before going back home. So there we have it - I learned to do my own ivs, got all cocky about getting out on home IVs for the weekend, and now have been put right back in my place. Harrumph, is all I can say. Oh the boredom... now I know I'm in for the two weeks, I'm all twitchy and bored. Soooo - my masterplan is to not give in to boredom. I shall construct my grumpy bitchness to ultra-hard working physio womanness.

First IVs and disconnecting fluids is at 6am, so I've already been getting up quite early, at about 7.30 to do my hair and morning meds before breakfast, so I figured I'd carry on with the routine and get my first physio sesh on the treadmill at about 7.15 for 20 minutes. This will be the first time in AGES that I've done exercise in the morning due to lung stiffness and being so out of breath, but now that I'm less tight and I have the o2 on anyway, it seems like a really good way to improve my morning erm... functioning. Then have a scrub and wash my barnet, then breakfast and pulmozyme, then probably tea and chatting in the corridor with Adam, then some studying for an hour or two, do any financey stuff to be sorted, then chill/wait for dr to come round, then lunch, IVs, then more chilling and studying, do some more exercise, like 20-30 minutes, then dinner. And IVs. Followed by some phonecalls, chilling, internet, telly, yet more IVs before bed and finals nebs/pills. And I think I'm exhausted just writing that! Which is shocking as it's not really that much to do LOL. I don't know how I'll ever do as much as a normal person again!

I did get a very good long chat with one of the physios today who I'd not met before and she was really helpful, like went through my active breathing cycles (that I currently do with physio instead of accapella due to chest pain) and shoed me a few things to add in. And also since we've found that I'm still quite hypoxic with walking, and this could be the reason why I'm not making fast progress with my fitness, we chatted about portable o2 again. Basically it's a teeny generator that you can carry in a rucksack allowing you do wear it for more vigorous exercise without it weighing you down much/ being bulky. And depending what the oximetre shows when I do a proper exercise test next week, I think I may take her up on it.

I don't like using it, but I've realised that being anal and ignoring the fact you need it doesn't make the hypoxia go away. And lets be frank, I wish I could jog for more than 1-2 minutes without having to stop for 10. We shall see.

Med wise, I've been given NAC sachets to help thin the sputum more and I think it's really helping me clear stuff. Plus I had a word with the dieticien about my tummy and the fact that I am throwing up in my mouth again quite often these days where the lansoprasole used to stop all that. So I'm doing ranitidine as well now and hopefully no more messy sick-burps. Mmm I love my body.

Anyway like I said, sorry to have a negative post, but hopefully soon I'll have loads of good news to waffle with! Take it fleasy xxx

1 comment: