Sunday 15 February 2009

Finally some good news!

After several months of nothing but pants-ness, I can finally say I'm noticing real changes in my exercise tolerance. Last week I was still having alot of difficulty after just 5-10 minutes walking and would still have times where despite wanting to complete my 30 minutes, I was reduced to a grunting, blue-tinged pile of tracksuit after 10. Of course these were the bad days - on good days 30-40 minutes was a hard workout but manageable.
Today though, out I strolled expecting the panting and nagging cough to creep on at any moment and whilst I did have my usual physio-induced-chest-clearing cough, it didn't tighten up and go on for agesm and get this - the little bit of a puff I had going on actually subsided once my coughing reduced. So I was actually hardly out of breath!
I mean I was breathing hard, but in a way which I associate with exercise, not in a way that was really unsettling.
AND, I went up my normal hill to the 0.75 mile point, then up the next huge hill which I have done but only on expceptionally good days and very very slowly at that, then a little bit further along after that WITHOUT ANY RESTS. Bloody fantastic it was.
I met my Mum coming back, and we walked the last half together, chatting a bit. Which sounds all normal and mundane - except that a week ago I couldn't walk and talk at all. Not ever or else I felt totally out of control with my breathing. But I actually talked in proper senteces, and got to the front door hardly even breathless.
So that was a 2 mile walk, about 40 minutes, with talking and without collapsing in to a chair afterwards! Result.
It's so odd how I can have long periods with no change whatsoever, and then sudden big improvements. Odd, but also amazing when it happens.
I actually really enjoyed my walk today for the first time in long while.
Of course I'll take it all with a pinch of salt and not get upset IF tomorrow isn't as fantastic and I am more breathless. Because I've had a taste of my old self again there's just one more thing to keep me motivated to carry on plugging away at it.
I do however feel slightly sorry for the CF team who I'll be seeing on Friday... they've had enough of my ramblings about training ect, and now will have to endure me going on about my walk. Sorry! Hopefully since my rib and back muscles are far less tight and painful (they were very battered and very sore from the violent cough - which is much less now) my lung functions will be up. I couldn't get a decent volume up because of not being able to take a really deep breath in. So I'm hoping for 70%! And I'm no longer worried about oxygen saturations - they were effing marvellous at rest last week - 97 all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment