Monday 4 May 2009

Happy Mondays, many goings on to chew over.

Another action packed week here - just croizy. Firstly I have had my first driving lesson in almost a YEAR! Argh... I can't believe it had been so long but this is another step in the right direction getting things sorted and getting me back on track (well road actually).
I'm with a new instructor who lives just up the road which is convenient, and the first lesson went brilliantly given that I thought I'd forgotten it all. No major hiccups at all, just road positioning and a few clicky gear changes.
I also went to sit for the kids up the road three times this week, which is never very hard work at all but they are really generous with paying ;-) so that'll help alot with paying for driving.
I moved out of my house at uni this week. I went up on wednesday morning and then Dad came to pick me and my mountain of 'stuff' up in the car on thursday. It was lovely to see the girls again and a big weight off my shoulders to get all my stuff out of there a month early, although I wasn't totally prepared for the sheer amount of it, and have been sorting and unpacking ever since!

And in more important news, the exercise this week has gone fantastically! Tuesday I think I did a few miles with just a couple of short jog intervals. Wednesday I went to the gym at uni and had a pretty good session: 35 mins moderate cycling, 15 minutes elliptical trainer and a 20 minute walk plus stretches.
On thursday, I just had a 2 mile walk as I was shattered from the efforts of the past two days! Which meant that Friday I was quite refreshed and ready for a good run. I did a 3 mile walk in the morning and then in the evening had a 30 minute treadmill sesh, which included 12 minutes worth of jogging at a higher incline then usual. I broke it into 1 x 4 minutes, 2 x 3 minutes, and 1 x 2 minutes. And obviously warm up, recovery and cool down was walking. This meant that I covered about 5 miles in the day! The best I've done since I was last well!
Saturday I thought I'd take it a little more easy to make sure I didn't get too tired or achey. I had a 2.5 mile walk with my family, so quite a relaxed pace to allow for chatting! Then later it was 16 minutes on Blacky the tread - including 6 minutes of running as 2 x 2 minutes. I did these slightly faster than usual as well since they were short bursts (get me, speed sessions lol). So a total of no more than 4 miles I reckon.
Then yesterday... A DOUBLE PB!! I was well happy with this lot: 3 mile walk in the morning, then 30 minute sesh in the afternoon with a 10 minute run!!! No stopping for 10 minutes and felt quite good too although a bit tired. I then had 3 minutes walking recovery and went on to do 1 x 4 minutes! So another fairly long interval and also a grand total of 14 minutes! Followed by a good cool down and stretch. Hheheheehehehe. Pretty good that.
The other interesting thing is that over the past week, I've felt that the 10lpm of o2 is doing slightly more for me than it was before - as in even though I still breathe very hard during the runs, I don't feel much lactic building up like before. I think this is what allowed me to run for longer and also may mean that I'm not so hypoxic by the end of a run now, so am not going so anaerobic!
I'll know if this theory is true on Friday, when I go for a reassessment to see how my oxygen levels are now whilst running. I'm not sure if I'll start off without just to get a baseline, or if we'll just titrate the O2 based on sats throughout a run.
Hopefully we'll be able to reduce the O2 a bit for my sessions soon. I'll not be too dissapointed if sats are still too low though, because I'm feeling so good compared now that it seems stupid to get depressed over numbers. Fingers crossed for good results on Friday!
I'm definately feeling yesterdays efforts (and indeed the whole weeks') in my legs, so today is just an easy day. No runs, but a 3 miles walk this morning and another 1-2 miles later on. All at a moderate pace and on 2 litres 02.

Laters xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment