Wednesday 22 April 2009

Gone are my LCH hobo-age days, I remain firmly put at my family abode

I nearly went all cringey and disbelieving when I saw that my last post was the 11th of this month. SH-HAME-FULL.
The last post was written from l'hopital shortly before I accidently reached my maximum dongle-download limit and thus was internetless. At the same time as the tellies in LCH bummed out and so there was nowt to do. Which all seems irrelevant now that I am smugly at home enjoying all the luxury homey goodies that come with.
I escaped on thursday, so it's nearly a week now, and I've felt perfectly well, not even a HINT of the cruddy chest or temperatures! That bronch was thankfully worth it as it grew some other bacteria that wasn't in my sputum samples and was resistant to the IVs I was on, so I went on a different antibiotic (pill) and so far, so good -I've hardly coughed at all, and have been walking about 3-4 miles every day outside (very slowly as no o2). This has been my exercise 'allowance' untill I pick up my treadmill tomorrow, how exciting, and get a 2nd machine delivered allowing me to have the 10lpm of o2 for jogging.

Basically the decision seems to have been made that I won't be having the portable o2 even for a little portion of my exercise, I'm guessing because of the amount I take and the expense of liquid cyclinders. So since I was going to have to get a treadmill for the jogging anyway, I'll be able to use the concentrator I've had since December, which goes up to 5lpm, plus another which will be delivered next week, hooked up to the same driveline. Phew. Thankfully I'll be able to start straight back with the brisk walking on an incline, because I'll only need 2-3 litres for that. Bring on tomorrow I say!

The escape itself was less than smooth, if all's taken in to account... I was told in the morning by my consultant that as long as I had had the steroid injection done by that evening, I could go. That was already somewhat vague as Dad needed to know whether to come from work that evening to pick me up or not! So I asked someone to make sure that pharmacy had the drug in (they don't normally stock it as it's not normally used for treating chest conditions) and got on with packing!
Pharmacy man came early afternoon to check what meds I needed and that seemed fine. Then 5pm came and since pharmacy would have been closing soon and I was expecting Dad at 6pm, I started getting worried that I hadn't had this fricking jab yet, so there's me, going round and asking them for a bum injection like a nutter!! The nurse is like "Good job you asked again now because 10 minutes later and I wouldn't have been able to get it from pharmacy!!" So I would have had to stay another night just for that. Then I realise that the meds I've been given for home have no metronidazole (new antibiotic)!! Which is bad news as I'd only started it 2 days ago... so basically the registrar has to come and ask why I'm on it, why it was stopped on my drug chart (No idea) and then get someone to re-prescribe it! I was fuming tbh, that I would have been sent home with the bug and no abs to treat it. I was like "What if I'm back tomorrow with a 40 degree temperature like last time!!" Maddening.

Anyway, move on Michelle... I did eventually get out after much stress, and waved sweet goodbyes. Since being home I've not stopped!! Dentist, GPs to sort out prescription woes, Friends houses for teas, we had a dinner party, family for roast dinner, one to two walks daily, driving lesson booking, ordering a car (!!!), shopping, cooking, going with Mum to her herceptin session, treadmill buying and tomorrow picking up hehehe... endless! And then where has the week gone, I'll be up at LCH for a check up on Friday. Just a check up! It's never as bad when you know you're walking outa there in a couple of hours. I'll just be doing lung functions, weight, quick chat and eye over from Dr, and possibly gas transfer but we'll see. In a way I'm looking forward to it because I think they'll be really pleased with things - you can see how much better I am than 1 month ago and how clear my chest is now. Plus hopefully once that's out of the way they'll only want me up there every couple of months or something.

I'll update you on the treadmill situation tomorrow night when I've had a good old play!! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment